Monday 6 January 2014

Back to school Pancakes


Today is Blue Monday - apparently the most depressing day of the year. 

The decorations have gone back in the attic, everyone is back at work/school and the Christmas cheer has faded away.

To be honest, I don't feel like it is a blue day. Especially, as we now have all our 2014 plans and goals to look forward too (We are getting married!) I am not blue - not one little bit and I really hope you are not too. 



Anyway, whether or not it is blue Monday is probably a completely different post altogether. I am here to let you know about the yummy, healthy and cheap breakfast I have planned for tomorrow. (It is also the perfect breakfast to help banish those blues)

My guys have not been up before 08:30 since Christmas day so getting them up, dressed and out the house by 08:15 is going to be tough. 
Normally, I opt for an easy, quick breakfast like cereal (Dylan loves his weetabix) or toast. However, tomorrow I am changing my game plan - I plan to entice all four of them out of bed with a yummy breakfast. I am hoping this will be more successful than my usual loud approach.

I have stolen the pan cake recipe from Giz - he is the Pancake King of our house. The recipe Giz uses is....

1 Cup of Self-raising Flour
1 Cup of Milk
1 Egg
Pinch of Salt
A little Oil

1. Mix the flour and Egg together in a bowl
2. Add the milk and whisk thoroughly
3. Add a pinch of salt
4. Mix until smooth
5. Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
6. Add a little mixture (1/4 of a cup approximately)
7. Flip over half way through to ensure both sides are golden

*Hot tip - leave the mix in the fridge over night. Then, in the morning give it another quick whisk before cooking. This makes the mixture light and fluffy. 

I will serve with fruit a dollop of yoghurt and maybe a drizzle of honey - how could they possibly stay in bed?

It will be both delicious and cheap...
Self raising flour (1.5Kg), Tesco everyday value 45p
Semi-skinned milk (1 pint) 49p
eggs (6 pack) Tesco value 93p 
Salt and oil (always in the cupboard)

So, that is a grand total of £1.87 to make 6 batches! I only need one batch to feed all four of my angels tomorrow.  

I will add some piccies in the morning, right now I'm off to make the mixture and hit the hay. 

P.s - recipe adapted from Mr Oliver's fruit pancakes

3 comments:

  1. love it Chrissi!! best breakfast ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great way of making meals fun by doing things like pancakes. If I could make a suggestion though...cook with (real) butter as opposed to oil. Butter has a higher smoke point and its chemical composition doesn't change when cooking. Whereas oil when heated changes its chemical composition and turns into a trans fat - which is something our body doesn't handle well. Oil's should be used for things like dressings etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you both for your comments! Giz they tasted good but looked awful - I need to know your secret for getting them rounder.
    Josh - what a great tip - I never knew that. keep the suggestions coming, we are on a mission :)

    ReplyDelete