Monday 30 December 2013

Kaylee's Pickled leftovers

In the past, left over food almost always found it's way to the bin. Even if I saved it in the fridge I wouldn't get round to using it up in time!

As part of our family New Years resolution we are not going to waste any food and we are determine.

Following our roast, we had two raw carrots and a little bit of red cabbage left. Inspired by +Jamie Oliver Kaylee and I created the following.....




Pink Pickle

Pink Pickle by Kaylee King (age 5)

Pink pickle is....

1 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp sugar 
Raw Carrots chopped 
Raw red cabbage

Kaylee called it pink pickle as we think the red cabbage will turn it all pink. We used Jamie's recipe and added extra sugar. I'm looking forward to this sweet pink pickle with salads in the future. 




Chilli Pickle
This one is a gamble - I have no idea how it will turn out or if we will be able to eat it. Exploring food is all about trying out new flavors and combinations, we took a chance:


Chilli Pickle by Kaylee King (age 5)

Chilli Pickle is...

1 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
4 tsp of chilli powder (mild)
Raw carrot chopped
Red cabbage thinly cut

I will let know how we get on when we try it. I have a feeling it will have a great 'kick' to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment